C.R.S. Section 26-5.7-108
Voluntary alternative residence

  • lack of parental agreement


If the youth and the youth’s parent cannot agree on an initial voluntary alternative residence within twenty-one days after admission to the alternative out-of-home residence, a referral to the county department may be made.


The licensed child care facility, licensed homeless youth shelter, or licensed host family home to which the youth has been admitted may arrange for the establishment of a supervised independent living arrangement or may arrange a voluntary residential agreement between the youth and a relative or other responsible adult, a licensed child care facility, a licensed homeless youth shelter, or a licensed host family home if the youth has been admitted to a licensed child care facility, licensed homeless youth shelter, or licensed host family home and:


Twenty-one days have passed since admission;


The youth’s parent cannot be found after diligent effort by the facility or shelter to locate such parent, the youth’s parent has failed to respond to a notice sent by the facility or shelter, or the youth’s parent has renounced responsibility for the youth; and


The youth has no suitable place to live other than the home of the youth’s parent.


A supervised independent living arrangement can only be established pursuant to subsection (2) of this section if:


The youth has not been deemed to have a substance use disorder and is in need of treatment;


The youth is not currently demonstrating behavior that poses a danger to the youth or others;


The youth is not engaging in persistent high-risk behavior that renders the youth inappropriate for an independent living arrangement through a placement alternative commission plan pursuant to section 19-1-116, C.R.S., or foster care placement through the county department; and


The youth has an ability and capacity to manage his or her own affairs, demonstrates emotional independence, and has the opportunity and ability to achieve financial independence through legitimate activities and life skills, including the following:


Educational accomplishments or a plan for achieving educational goals;


A vocational plan or goal; and


An opportunity or ability to achieve adequate housing and living arrangements apart from the youth’s parent, guardian, or custodian.


Intentionally left blank —Ed.


For the purposes of this article, a voluntary residential agreement shall not require the county department to assume custody of the youth or to exercise any parental power or control over the youth or require medical assistance under articles 4, 5, and 6 of title 25.5, C.R.S.


A person assuming responsibility for the youth shall have the authority to:


Enroll the youth in the school district in which the youth resides, pursuant to the voluntary residential agreement; and


Authorize and obtain preventive medical and dental care and treatment for the youth.

Source: Section 26-5.7-108 — Voluntary alternative residence - lack of parental agreement, https://leg.­colorado.­gov/sites/default/files/images/olls/crs2023-title-26.­pdf (accessed Oct. 20, 2023).

Green check means up to date. Up to date

Current through Fall 2024

§ 26-5.7-108’s source at colorado​.gov